Giants lose to late Dundee strike

Belfast Giants 2 - 3 Dundee Stars
Published Sunday, 05 January 2014
Toggle font size

Despite a last minute comeback, the Giants ended up on the wrong end of a 3-2 defeat, losing to the Dundee Stars in extra time on Saturday night.

Video available to UK viewers only.
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.

To find out if this video is available to you, we need to know what region you live in. Please enter your postcode below (including space).

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for confirming your region.

Frequently Asked Questions

We are sorry but this video is not available on in your region. Your region is listed below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you in Northern Ireland?

1. Why is my postcode required?

We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm you can access the video content via

This is because some videos on are only available in Northern Ireland.

Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.

If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at or

2. Why am I directed to or when I try to view certain clips?

The videos, which are not available on to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on (for users in England and Wales) or (for most users in Scotland).

We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.

If you think we've got your location wrong, then please click here.

Need more help? Contact us

The first period was a duel between both sides' goaltenders with Stephen Murphy and Dan Bakala, the two top goalies in the league this season, putting on an immense display with neither side able to get past their defence.

It wasn't until the 17:58 mark of the second period that the fans saw the first goal of the game.

Jeffret Szwez converted a backhand shot to record his 17th goal of the season and make it 1-0 to the home side.

At the start of the third period, the Giants had to kill off a four minute penalty after Kevin Saurette high-sticked a Dundee defender.

Then Adam Keefe was called for delaying the game when he shot the puck over the glass on a clearing attempt giving the Stars a two minute, two man advantage.

Some excellent penalty killing looked to swing the momentum back to the Giants but moments after the end of both penalties, the Stars scored to tie the game.

Brock McPherson fired home the game-tying goal at the 6:50 mark of the final period.

The Stars then went on to shock the Giants by scoring again and taking the lead one minute later when Rory Rawlyk pushed through the Giants defence with a solo effort to give the Stars the lead with 12 minutes to play.

The home side piled on the pressure but with the clock winding down, it looked like it was too late.

Coach Paul Adey pulled Murphy out of the goal in favour of an extra attacker and the risk paid off when Kevin Saurette tipped in a Rob Sandrock shot to tie the game at 2-2 with only 15 seconds remaining.

Several good chances early on into overtime looked like the home side might narrowly escape this one with the win, but it was not to be.

Two minutes into extra time, Nikita Kashirsky fired a cannon shot over the shoulder of Murphy to give the Dundee Stars the 3-2 overtime win.

The defeat, only the second of the Giants current campaign, keeps them 14 points clear at the top of the Elite League.

The Giants are back at the Odyssey Arena next Saturday night when they host the Cardiff Devils at 7pm.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
Supersaffron in Belfast wrote (102 days ago):
Just curious why the winning Dundee goal in over time isn't included in highlights ?
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
Mon 31 March 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014
President Higgins visits UK
Tue 08 April 2014