Published Wednesday, 01 January 2014
Banners at the protest camp had been slashed in a previous attack last week (© Presseye)
Police were attending the scene of a disturbance after a youth attempted to slash a banner at a loyalist protest camp on Wednesday afternoon.
They were responding to a report of an altercation between the 16-year-old teenager and members of the public on Twaddell Avenue.
The officer has been taken to hospital after he was assaulted, suffering facial injuries.
Police said he was hurt "by what is believed to be a Stanley type knife".
His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
The 16-year-old teenager has been arrested for wounding with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in connection with the incident.
He is being questioned by police.
"He remains in custody assisting police with their inquiries in connection with the assault and the attempt to damage this banner," a police spokesman said on Wednesday night.
Greater Shankill DUP Councillor Brian Kingston said it is the second attack in a week on banners and flags at the loyalist protest camp.
He said: "Clearly this is a very serious sequence of events. I hope that the police officer will make a full recovery though it is possible that he will be left with a scar.
"It is imperative that the PSNI increase their presence in the area to prevent any further incidents.
"I urge anyone who can assist the police investigation into these and previous incidents to pass on whatever information they have."
The protest camp was set up last July after the Parades Commission placed restrictions on bands returning past the Ardoyne shop fronts on the Twelfth.
© UTV News