Published Friday, 20 September 2013
Philip Convery was left fighting for his life after the attack. (© Country Photography)
Philip Convery had to undergo emergency surgery to have a blood clot removed from his brain after he was repeatedly hit with an iron bar during the incident.
The teenager was rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital for emergency brain surgery following the attack.
Doctors told the 16-year-old he was "one blow" from death.
Philip was studying for his GCSE maths examination when two men, one armed with a gun and the other with an iron bar, burst into his grandmother's home at Mayogall Road near Magherafelt on June 5 of last year.
His grandmother Teresa Convery, 71, and his uncle Martin Convery, 45, a bank manager, were all assaulted.
On trial at Derry Crown Court charged with offences linked to the incident is Michael Mongan, 23, from White Rise in Dunmurry.
He denies assaulting the three victims and also denies attempting to steal £10,000 and possession an iron bar.
He further denies driving without insurance while disqualified on June 5 of last year.
Philip told the jury that the defendant, whom he picked out at a police identification procedure, and another man wearing a ski mask forced their way into his grandmother's home shouting "where's the money, where's the money?"
Philip, who was in the house with his grandmother and uncle, told the police in a taped interview, which was played to the jury, that during a struggle with one of the raiders he managed to get hold of the gun which he then pointed at the defendant.
"I think I pulled the trigger but nothing happened and then the boy tackled me and we went to the ground", he said.
He said the defendant then repeatedly beat him with the iron bar.
"The doctor said if I had got one more blow I would have died or else had been brain damaged," he said.
"I went into the house, got the phone and called the ambulance and then I was put in the back of the ambulance and the next time I woke up it was three days later in the Royal Victoria Hospital", he added.
The trial before Judge Philip Babington was adjourned until Monday.
© UTV News