Priest found not guilty of sex abuse

Published Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A former curate of St Matthew's Catholic Church in Belfast has been found not guilty of sexually abusing a young female parishioner in the 1980s.

Video available to UK viewers only.
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.

To find out if this video is available to you, we need to know what region you live in. Please enter your postcode below (including space).

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for confirming your region.

Frequently Asked Questions

We are sorry but this video is not available on u.tv in your region. Your region is listed below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you in Northern Ireland?

1. Why is my postcode required?

We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm you can access the video content via u.tv.

This is because some videos on u.tv are only available in Northern Ireland.

Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.

If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at itv.com or stv.tv.

2. Why am I directed to itv.com or stv.tv when I try to view certain clips?

The videos, which are not available on u.tv to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on itv.com (for users in England and Wales) or stv.tv (for most users in Scotland).

We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.

If you think we've got your location wrong, then please click here.

Need more help? Contact us

The jury was sworn in at Belfast Crown Court to try Father Peter Donnelly, from Drumaroad Hill, Castlewellan for allegedly sexually abusing a girl in the parochial house of the church in east Belfast over a five year period.

Fr Donnelly, 71, was charged with six counts of indecently assaulting the girl and a further count of gross indecency with the girl.

He denied all the charges which were alleged to have taken place between 1983 and 1988.

Two previous juries in the case were unable to reach a verdict on the charges against Fr Donnelly.

After the third jury was sworn in, prosecuting barrister Kate McKay told Judge Gordon Kerr QC: "The Crown is not offering any evidence in this case."

Judge Kerr QC said that as a result of prosecution decision, he was directing the jury of nine men and three women to acquit Fr Donnelly of all the charges.

The trial judge said: "You are now free to go Fr Donnelly."

Outside the Laganside court complex, his defence solicitor Denis Maloney said: "Due process has taken place in which Fr Donnelly has co-operated fully and he has now been found not guilty."

During the previous two trials, his alleged victim claimed she was indecently assaulted a number of times when she was aged between 10 and into her early teens.

She claimed the abuse occurred in the parochial house at St Matthew's.

Allegations Fr Donnelly repeatedly denied.

He told the trial last week of the first time he heard of the allegations.

"The Bishop called me and told this allegation has arisen," Fr Donnelly told the jury at Belfast Crown Court.

"He advised me that I should voluntary stand down from the ministry and I thought, for the good of the church, that I should stand down from the ministry while this investigation was ongoing."

When the priest was asked to comment on the allegations against him, including one incident which was claimed had taken place in his bedroom, Fr Donnelly responded by saying: "I totally deny that."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
0 Comments
No comments. Be the first to comment.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Larne
Mon 31 March 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014