Orange apply to march past Ardoyne

Published Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

The Orange Order has again applied to the Parades Commission to complete its contentious march past the Ardoyne shops.

Orange apply to march past Ardoyne
A protest camp was set up at the interface. (© Presseye)

Ahead of last year's Twelfth, Orangemen, their supporters and bands, were refused permission to march past the north Belfast interface as part of their return march.

The move sparked anger and serious public disorder.

A protest camp was then set up at Twaddell Avenue and nightly demonstrations have been held by Orangemen and their supporters which have required police security.

Earlier this month Justice Minister David Ford called for the camp to be disbanded after he revealed the £9m cost of the police operation.

It's understood Orange officials, Catholic and Church of Ireland clergy, politicians and residents' representatives on both sides have been meeting to discuss a resolution to the dispute.

The three Ligoniel Lodges of the Orange Order concerned have again applied to the Parades Commission to complete their Twelfth march on Saturday, 7 June.

The Orange Order has said the march, pencilled in for between 9am and 10am, is the "best opportunity" to resolve the issue.

However, nationalist sources have told UTV there is no agreement on the parade.

The Parades Commission is set to decide on the application on Thursday.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
13 Comments
gerard in belfast wrote (206 days ago):
if they that them walk up the road then what they r saying was the parades commission was wrong in the 1st place to stop them they need to stand by there ruleing they need to talk to the people off ardoyne and that them all come to agreement that all sides r happy with that is the only way this can be fixed they have had near a whole year to talk and have not like in the pass they seem to think that they will get there own way as always people have move on from the pass but these people still live in it thinking they can have there own way these orange order have no repect for the other side r there churchs even some of there own parties have look the other way cause they know they need to talk to fix this
Martin in Martin wrote (206 days ago):
Oh let them march, that way it's over and done with and the money wasted policing this so called protest camp can be put to better use. 9 million is a ridiculous waste of money.
jim in BELFAST wrote (206 days ago):
if the orange order it's band and all who participate in this parade abide by the parades commission rules and the rule of law whilst marching this route there would be no problem but they just can't seem to help themselves to just have that little bigotry dig of triumph....shame they will never learn.....EQUALITY IS ALL WE ASK
Colleen in Belfast wrote (206 days ago):
Another application for another march. When is the O.O going to grow up and enter the 21st century. All parades are an embarrassment to N.Ireland
East Ender in London wrote (206 days ago):
Do they ever stop and think for a minute and maybe move in todays world. Even Ross Kemp has gotten bored with them.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Mon 08 December 2014
One Direction fever
Fri 05 December 2014
U2 music video filmed in Belfast
Wed 17 December 2014