Man on 'attempted child destruction' charge

Published Monday, 18 August 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A Portstewart man, who is accused of attacking a pregnant woman and kicking her in the stomach, has been attacked by a gang of men.

Man on 'attempted child destruction' charge
Gary Woods was attacked in the early hours of Monday. (© UTV)

Gary Woods, who is 25 and originally from Mullaghacall Crescent in the seaside town, was due to have appeared before North Antrim Magistrates' Court, sitting in Coleraine, on Monday to fix a date for a preliminary enquiry into the case.

However, defence lawyer Francis Rafferty told District Judge Liam McNally that Woods was unable to attend court as he was "the victim of a serious assault".

Mr Rafferty said that Woods was "suffering from a broken arm and is on his way to hospital".

Mr McNally adjourned the hearing, fixing the preliminary enquiry case for the end of next month.

The PSNI later confirmed that shortly after 1am on Monday morning, police in Coleraine were informed about an attack on a man in the town, by a number of masked men.

A spokesperson added that his injuries were not thought to be life threatening.

Woods, who was released on bail in April, is charged with attempted child destruction, and falsely imprisoning and causing grievous bodily harm to the child's mother on 31 January.

At his original remand hearing before the North Antrim court in February, District Judge Austin Kennedy was told that the alleged victim's stepfather rang police to report that she had been assaulted by Woods.

Mr Kennedy, who described the charges as "appalling", also heard that police domestic abuse officers had had dealings with Woods over several years involving incidents with three previous partners.

A constable claimed that in the present case, Woods, said to have a "very, very bad record and previous convictions for similar offences", allegedly kicked the injured party around the stomach while carrying an unborn child.

Although refused bail at the time, two months later, Woods was granted his own bail of £750, with two sureties of £500, on condition he observes a 7pm to 7am curfew.

Woods was also banned from using a mobile phone, and making any contact with the injured party.

In addition he was to be tagged and not allowed to consume any alcohol.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
1 Comments
Big G in The East wrote (101 days ago):
Banned from using a mobile phone ,what is going on with the LAW ,
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Flash flooding
Thu 13 November 2014
I
Wed 12 November 2014
The X Factor Live: Week 4
Sat 01 November 2014