Published Tuesday, 15 October 2013
It is believed that a gas canister exploded at the home of Trevor McNeil, in the Bonds Street in the Waterside area of the city, leaving him seriously injured and fighting for his life.
Residents said they heard a loud bang before seeing the 41-year-old running down the street with his clothes on fire.
One local man had to douse the flames engulfing Trevor's body before emergency crews reached the scene.
Mr McNeil was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital in a serious condition and was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.
His distraught parents visited the scene of the fire after spending the night at his hospital bedside.
He is in a critical condition, he's actually lucky to be alive I don't know how he got out of it.
Mother Gloria McNeil told UTV: "It was about three hours before we got in to see him but when we did it just wasn't Trevor.
"He was so badly burned. His hands are all plastered up.
"I hate to think of Trevor being there, it wasn't Trevor."
Mr McNeil is being treated for severe burns to his hands and his face.
Doctors have said his condition is now critical.
His father Thomas added: "He's up in the intensive care unit in the Royal now, that's where the plastic surgeons are all based so it's the best place for him.
"It's a miracle he managed to get out."
Investigations are underway to examine exactly how the explosion happened.
Nearby homes were evacuated for a time and the road closed due to the extensive damage caused to the house.
Two homes remained evacuated on Tuesday afternoon, however, the road has since reopened.
© UTV News