Man charged over Omagh bomb

Man charged over Omagh bomb

A man has been charged by police investigating the 1998 Omagh bomb.

High-profile republican Seamus Daly was detained in the Newry area on Monday.Officers from the PSNI Serious Crime Branch on Thursday evening charged the 43-year-old with the murders of the 29 people who died in the explosion and a number of other offences.He is due to appear before Dungannon Magistrates' Court on Friday morning.A statement from the PSNI said: "He faces 29 murder charges relating to the blast on 15 August 1998, two charges in relation to the Omagh explosion and two charges in relation to an attempted explosion in Lisburn in April 1998 - a total of 33 charges."Mr Daly, who is from Cullaville in Co Monaghan, had been found liable for the Omagh bombing in a landmark civil ruling in 2009. He has always denied any involvement in the attack.Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, died when a Real IRA car bomb exploded among shoppers on a busy Saturday afternoon in the Co Tyrone town.It was the single bloodiest terrorist attack in the history of the Northern Ireland Troubles and came only months after the signing of the historic Good Friday peace accord.Have just spoken to Michael Gallagher whose son was killed in the Omagh bomb He said it has been a long wait and its very good news for us.— Aideen Kennedy (@Aideen_UTV) April 10, 2014

© UTV

Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top