Published Thursday, 12 September 2013
Pressure had been mounting on Dave Cox following a damning inspection report that criticised the way the HET reviewed military killings in Northern Ireland.
The scathing report into army killings during the Troubles said the team's reviews had been less rigorous in comparison to deaths attributed to paramilitaries.
The report by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) further claimed the team was inconsistent, had serious shortcomings and risked losing the confidence of victims' families.
Following the publication, the Policing Board, which scrutinises the police, said it had no confidence in the leadership of the HET.
Mr Cox will continue in a handover role for a further two weeks. HET's director of the military operations, Paul Johnston, will also leave on 28 September when his contract ends.
The development ends confusion over Mr Cox's future as when contacted at the weekend, the PSNI could not confirm his departure - despite UTV obtaining a leaked email sent to the Policing Board confirming the decision.
A PSNI chief superintendent and superintendent will be appointed on 28 September to review all policies, procedures and standards and fulfil all recommendations made in the recent report.
Pat Sheehan, Sinn Féin MLA and Policing Board member, told UTV: "Without indulging in clichés, it's a victory for common sense.
"There has been some to-ing and fro-ing over the past few weeks - but we have finally agreed with the Chief Constable that the director and deputy director of the HET will be replaced on the 28 September and that the director of the HET will stay for a further two weeks in a handover role, and after that he will have nothing at all to do with the HET."
© UTV News