Published Wednesday, 21 August 2013
Fine totalling over £9,000 were handed out from the period July 2013 to June 2013.
NI Railway said that the rate was lower than in recent years due to the closure of the Coleraine to Derry track for eight months while being upgraded.
The majority of level crossing misuse incidents by motorists and private crossing users take place on that stretch of track, Translink NI Railways said.
Mal McGreevy, General Manager of Rail at the firm, said: "Since the line reopened, there have been sixteen incidents of motorists attempting to beat the barrier at Castlerock and all of them may face prosecution.
"In a bid to keep rail safety to the forefront during the summer months, last month we highlighted the issue of pedestrian trespass on the rail network since the beginning of June, which by August 5th had totalled 138 incidents."
"We are reminding motorists and pedestrians that CCTV is in operation at stations, railway crossings and on all trains.
"Safety continues to be a priority for Translink and our DEADLINE campaign is currently running to remind motorists and pedestrians of the dangers associated with the misuse of level crossings. "
He continued: "The rules are simple - don't use the tracks as a shortcut; on the platform always wait behind the yellow line; never mess around near the tracks; use railway crossings safely and motorists should never be tempted to jump the lights or beat the barriers at railway crossings."
He said the company will prosecute anyone caught damaging property, trespassing or endangering others.
© UTV News