Published Tuesday, 08 July 2014
In a brief two-line joint statement following a meeting at Stormont Castle on Tuesday, the five party group said: "The Executive agreed that all parades and parades-related protests should be lawful.
"The Executive acknowledges the efforts of many to ensure a peaceful summer."
The move comes after a Parades Commission determination in north Belfast for Saturday's annual Twelfth march sparked outrage among unionist politicians.
The commission ruled, in an identical determination to last year, the three Ligoniel lodges could march past the Ardoyne shops for the morning parade, but not for the return procession.
Last year's ruling on the contentious route sparked several days of rioting across the region.
A camp, in protest at the ruling, was also established at Twaddell Avenue.
The cost of policing the area and the nightly demonstrations in north Belfast has cost over £10m over the past year.
Following this year's ruling, unionist politicians pulled out of talks aimed at resolving the contentious issues of flags, parades and the past and said they would make a "graduated response" to the determination.
Although they have yet to outline what that means, it's understood unionist leaders will give some indication of their plans later in the week.
The Executive met for over two hours on Tuesday, with rumours of a unionist walkout proving unfounded.
UTV understands the biggest disagreement around the table, however, was over financial matters with no agreement made on the June monitoring round which could impact government spending.
© UTV News