Ex-ACC backs new Kincora investigation

Published Wednesday, 16 July 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A former police Assistant Chief Constable says there should be a new PSNI investigation into Kincora Boys' Home if fresh evidence of sexual exploitation at the institution emerges.

2 clips available

In 1981, William McGrath, Joseph Mains and Raymond Semple - senior staff members at the east Belfast home - were jailed for abusing children in their care.

On Tuesday, Clint Massey told UTV about the abuse he suffered when he went to the home in 1973.

Another victim, Gary Hoy, has spoken about his ordeal after he went there in 1969.

He recalled how children in the home used to disappear from Kincora for several weeks and he himself was taken to two different houses one in the Four Winds in south Belfast and one in the Fortwilliam area of north Belfast where he was abused by a stranger.

"The first time Semple was taking me to the Oval football ground to watch the Glens playing, I remember getting all ready and getting excited [about] going," he said.

"I never got to any football match.

"I remember going into the house, there was an old man sitting in the middle of the room in a chair."

There are claims that visitors to the home included high-ranking members of society and Mr Hoy firmly believes previous police investigations were blocked by the Ministry of Defence and MI5.

"I remember men in dark suits, not just one going in and out, this was going on for a period of time," he added.

Mr Hoy has spoken to the Historical Institutional Abuse inquiry but, like Mr Massey and others, he wants Kincora to be included in a UK inquiry launched by Westminster.

Former Assistant Chief Constable Alan McQuillan said he believes it may now be time for a fresh police investigation.

He said: "If there is now wider evidence coming out that there was a wider network of men using that site and that wasn't investigated before, then that needs to be investigated, those are very serious crimes potentially and they need to be investigated by the police as criminal acts.

"If those people are still alive and amenable, there's evidence against them, they should go to jail."

Mr McQuillan said he would not be shocked to learn previous inquiries had been blocked.

He added: "You've got to remember, we now know about other things that were going on at the time, we had the Secretary of State intervening in a case of allegations against a priest of IRA activity and murder to prevent the prosecution of that individual - that was the culture at the time."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
2 Comments
Patricia in Co Down wrote (133 days ago):
I am deeply sorry for those young boys raped by those evil people who must be taken out of society, All the boys now men need fully compensated and at last free to get on with their lives with help of counselling and may God be with them always. "You are not alone and loved by GOD"
Issy in Dromore wrote (134 days ago):
This is so sickening and those responsible should be punished and locked up for the longest time. I feel so sorry for the victims. God help them. They were vulnerable little children preyed upon by the most evil in society when they should have been safe and well cared for.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Flash flooding
Thu 13 November 2014
I
Wed 12 November 2014
The X Factor Live: Week 4
Sat 01 November 2014