Published Friday, 11 October 2013
Officers from the PSNI's Serious Crime Branch believed the failed attack, foiled by police and the Army bomb squad on Thursday night, aimed to target Strand Road station.
On Friday, after nearly 1,000 people had been allowed to return to the homes they were evacuated from overnight, a photo was released of a holdall believed to have been used to carry the device.
Police think it was used to transport the mortar to its intended launch point at Lawrence Hill.
It is only by good fortune that we are not talking about loss of life or serious damage to property.
PSNI Superintendent Stephen Cargin
Superintendent Stephen Cargin said there had been a complete disregard for innocent lives by those individuals who left the device in the popular residential area.
"Close to 1,000 people had to leave their homes last night because of the misguided actions of the people responsible for this incident," he said.
"While the device will be forensically examined in due course, it is safe to say that the intent here was to kill or injure and create fear within the community."
SDLP Foyle MLA Pat Ramsey has strongly condemned those behind the attack.
"Those responsible for the disruption must know that they will not break the spirit of this city and its people. We have endured too much to allow anyone to attempt to bring the past back to our streets," he said.
"I attended the community vigil this morning to support the family of Barry McCrory, who was brutally murdered yesterday, and the people who attended are clear in their message - we will not go back."
Sinn Féin Foyle MLA Maeve McLaughlin welcomed that the device was dealt with and that no one was harmed.
"Whatever group was behind this incident, they need to reflect on the political realities of Ireland in 2013," Ms McLaughlin said.
"We have to ensure that the peace and political processes continue to strengthen in spite of the wreckers."
The people of Derry do not want this happening in their name.
Maeve McLaughlin, Sinn Féin
DUP MLA Gregory Campbell said the timing of the bomb find seemed to be "no coincidence".
"Those who placed this device clearly have no regard for the lives of anyone," he said.
"It placed not just the lives of our security forces at risk, but also almost 1,000 people living in the area who were forced to leave their homes.
"It seems to be no coincidence that these incidents are occurring at a time when Northern Ireland is showcasing itself to the world and attempting to attract even greater levels of inward investment to our shores."
Alliance Justice spokesperson Stewart Dickson MLA also joined in the condemnation of the attack.
"Those responsible for this mortar bomb have no regards for the lives of others. Anybody could have been seriously injured or killed had it exploded," he said.
"I would like to pay tribute to the police and army officers who put their lives at risk to protect the public during this security alert. Their bravery stands in stark contrast to the evil actions of those responsible for this mortar bomb.
"If anybody has any information about this device then I would urge them to contact the police."
PIC: The blue holdall police believe was used to transport the mortar bomb found in Derry.
© UTV News