Published Thursday, 19 December 2013
Last year they attended over 1,000 incidents over the festive fortnight.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Dale Ashford said people should consider some of the hazards as they enjoy their holidays.
"At this time of year, people do not initially think of fire safety because they are thinking about Christmas," Mr Ashford told UTV.
"They are thinking about having fun with their families and obviously we support that, we want that too, but we would just ask people to spare a moment to think about their fire safety during these times because it is cold, it is dark so people tend to think about their heaters.
"They will bring in the old heater that has been in the garage for a while, hasn't been used for a while. We fill our houses full of nice Christmas decorations and all of that sort of thing adds to the fire hazards in premises as well."
The fireman said most fires can start in the kitchen.
He went on: "At this time of year, we see fire starting with candles. Lots of people light nice candles to warm up and make a nice atmosphere in the house so it is just really about taking a moment or two to think about what we can do to stop fires happening in the first place."
And with difficult weather conditions forecast, Mr Ashford added that drivers should take care if they're out and about on the roads.
"We do tend to get a lot of road traffic collisions at this time of year with the weather being the way it normally is so again we would ask people to think about their safety in relation to that, slow down, take a bit more care and hopefully avoid them getting involved," he said.
"And do everything you can safe. Let's hope you don't need the fire and rescue service over the Christmas period."
© UTV News