'Booby trap' bomb found near city school

Published Monday, 12 November 2012
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A viable device discovered near a primary school in north Belfast could have been an under-car booby trap bomb designed to "kill and maim", police have said.

'Booby trap' bomb found near city school
The scene of the alert in north Belfast. (© Pacemaker)

Ballymagarry Lane remained closed overnight while investigations are continuing close to Springhill Primary School, where the device was found shortly before 12pm on Monday.

Two vehicles are also being examined by police "carrying out a number of inquiries across the city centre", a PSNI spokesman confirmed.

Halcombe Street in the lower Woodstock area of east Belfast and Middlepath Street have been closed whilst officers examine the vehicles following the discovery of the viable bomb.

"At this stage police believe that this could have been an under-car booby trap designed to kill and maim," the spokesman added.

The device was made safe and was taken away for further forensic examination by army bomb experts who were tasked to the scene on Monday morning.

Homes in the area were evacuated while two controlled explosions were carried out. Four primary schools in the vicinity were also advised to keep children indoors during the operation.

We are pretty fortunate tonight that we're not looking at a tragic situation with people having lost their lives.

William Humphrey, DUP MLA

North Belfast DUP MLA William Humphrey has condemned those responsible for the device.

"I am told that this had all the appearance of an under-car explosive device and it is suspected that it had fallen off a vehicle," he said.

"We could have had a situation today here where schoolchildren travelling to school and people going about their business could have been blown to smithereens."

Mr Humphrey added: "Those responsible have been entirely reckless and did not care who suffered the consequences of their actions. We are indebted to the PSNI and army bomb disposal officers who cleared this security alert."

He urged anyone with information to assist police in their inquiries.

Anyone with any information about persons or vehicles acting suspiciously in the area over the weekend are asked to contact the PSNI.

Residents and schoolchildren have been allowed to return home.

The Ballygomartin Road is open to traffic.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
2 Comments
conair in belfast wrote (707 days ago):
Deplorable action from a bunch of morons that have little support, they are the same as there loyalist counterparts who left pipe bombs in a catholic primary school in Antrim last year and outside peoples homes in west Belfast.
gazza in belfast wrote (708 days ago):
is this another attack on protestant population by hardline republican terrorists?
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Lynda Bellingham: 1948-2014
Mon 20 October 2014
Ryder Cup 2014 - Day One
Fri 26 September 2014
The X Factor: Judges
Fri 03 October 2014