Published Friday, 18 October 2013
John Lekey made the comments on Friday during a preliminary hearing into the disappearance of the Castlederg teenager almost 20 years ago.
He said there can be no further hold ups and explained that any issues to do with resourcing must be cleared with Justice Minister David Ford so that long-running cases can continue.
"I endeavour to hold inquests as soon as possible," said Mr Leckey. "But it is not happening.
"If the chief constable feels that he cannot comply with what I regard as my reasonable requirements, it is a matter he should raise with the Minister for Justice."
Arlene was 15 years old when she went missing in Co Tyrone in August 1994. Her body has never been found.
An inquest is scheduled to take place at Omagh courthouse next April and is expected to last for just over two months, but it has emerged in court that less than half the police papers relating to the case had been made available to the coroner's office.
The barrister for the police said they have been under increasing strain due to issues including the unrest over flags and parades during the summer.
Mr Leckey has demanded that all material, with the exception of sensitive documentation, must be disclosed to his office by the end of this month.
The coroner questioned why other UK forces have not been drafted in for assistance, adding: "If resource issues are a problem, it is a problem for the chief constable."
© UTV News