Published Friday, 16 November 2012
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.
Are you in Northern Ireland?
1. Why is my postcode required?
We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm
you can access the video content via u.tv.
This is because some videos on u.tv
are only available in Northern Ireland.
Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.
If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at itv.com or stv.tv.
2. Why am I directed to itv.com
or stv.tv when I try to view certain
The videos, which are not available on u.tv
to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on itv.com (for users in England and Wales) or stv.tv (for most users in Scotland).
We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.
If you think we've got your location wrong, then please
Need more help? Contact us
It was identified in young ash trees all linked to continental imports, the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development confirmed on Friday.
The plants showed symptoms of the disease and after samples were sent for laboratory analysis, results proved positive.
Statutory notices have been served on the owners of the plantations requiring destruction of the saplings and other plant debris.
As part of its ongoing surveillance programme, the department is investigating a number or other sites planted with imported ash saplings.
Agriculture Minister Michelle O'Neill said: "This is the first time the disease has been confirmed in the north.
"My officials have been working with the plantation owners and statutory notices for the destruction of ash saplings and associated plant debris has been served.
"The saplings and debris will be destroyed by burning and this work has already commenced.
"We have alerted our colleagues in the south and are continuing to work closely with them."
Many of our wooded landscapes may well be dramatically changed by this disease, and we are particularly concerned about the loss of the some of the hundreds of veteran ash trees that we have in our woods and parkland.
Ian Wright, National Trust
The Minister added: "Legislation was introduced north and south last month banning the import and movement of ash plants for planting from infected areas.
"However, we must remain vigilant as this disease still poses a very serious threat. I would appeal for a responsible approach over the coming season.
"I encourage all stakeholders to be alert for signs of this disease and report findings."
One of the outbreak sites has been confirmed on the north Antrim coast.
It was found at a National Trust property at Runkerry, between Bushmills and the Giant's Causeway.
Ian McCurley, regional forestry adviser, said the news that an estimated 3.5 hectares were affected at the site was devastating.
"Around 2000 young trees, planted in March this year, have been confirmed as carrying the disease. Today these were removed and burned," he said.
"The ash trees will be replaced with other species, but our main objective is to do everything possible to try to protect as many of the ash trees as we can in the woods, parks, gardens and farmland that we care for."