Almost 100 redundancies made at Mivan

Published Friday, 17 January 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

Almost 100 jobs have been lost at Mivan after the construction business entered administration last week.

Almost 100 redundancies made at Mivan
Mivan was one of Northern Ireland's most prominent building firms. (© Pacemaker)

The business, which did employ 289 workers, entered administration after the breakdown of recent merger talks with another company.

Chief Executive Ivan McCabrey said the company had suffered from intense competition in the global construction and fit-out market.

On Friday, a spokesman for administrators Deloitte confirmed that 98 people had been informed that they had lost their jobs.

Peter Allen of Deloitte, and administrator of Mivan, commented: "While we hope to achieve a potential sale of the business, we are reviewing trading on a daily basis and this includes the employment situation.

"Where customers can no longer continue with contracts, the jobs associated with these contracts have, unfortunately, been lost.

"We would like to thank the company's employees for their support and professionalism during this time."

Mivan had undertaken a number of prestigious projects including outfitting the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood and refurbishing the luxury QE2 liner.

The firm holds a Queen's Award for Export and has twice been named UK Construction Firm of the Year.

Antrim councillor Paul Michael said the loss would have a big impact in the borough.

The Ulster Unionist representative said: "To have this amount of jobs lost and more under threat is very serious, particularly for a town like Antrim.

"Mivan has been a world renowned company and one that has put Antrim on the map and I think it is our duty and our role to do all we can to keep them on the map and to keep selling the very good work they do and all the work they do for the people of Antrim.

"We have to acknowledge the current economic climate and obviously that has played its part here, but we will continue to highlight the good work the company does and how it promotes Antrim.

"Anything we can do to protect and retain these jobs we will do."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
2 Comments
Davymac in Belfast wrote (335 days ago):
Robinson & McGuinness are touring the world at our expense, promoting Northern Ireland and getting new work, they say! Why have they not secured any contracts for one of Northern Ireland's leading companies?? A company known the world over. No they would rather fight with each other and call each other and call each other names. Time for change at Stormont, get these idiots out, and elect people who are interested in NI and not lining their own pockets!!
Colin G in Balllynahinch wrote (336 days ago):
Another blow to the construction industry (what remains) in this economic wasteland. What remedy have the Muppets on the Hill come up with - nothing: silence once again prevails - no surprise there. Sorry I forgot to mention (to be fair to them)they have been enthusiastically and actively involved (all scrambling for air time on the radio throughout the day)to sling mud at each other over some insignificant spurious childish remarks. When will they realise that (a) construction is the life blood of any economy and (b) no one cares about their playground tantrums. Get on with what we pay you to do and get this economy up and running again. Deaf ears no doubt will be the order of the day once more.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
CONSUMER COUNCIL
Know your rights when it comes to Christmas shopping with our Myth Buster guide.
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Mon 08 December 2014
One Direction fever
Fri 05 December 2014
U2 music video filmed in Belfast
Wed 17 December 2014