This Morning's whole roasted salmon
Published Friday, 03 January 2014
Lesley Waters cooks up a healthy New Year dish which is great served with a warm orange pepper sauce and smoky puy lentils.
Salmon is great served with a warm orange pepper sauce and smoky puy lentils. (© ITV)
- 3 courgettes, grated
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 60ml/4tbsp olive oil
- 2 pieces salmon fillet, about 800g each, pin boned with skin left on
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/ 400F/ Gas 6.
- Grate the courgettes and place in a bowl with the lemon zest, 30ml/2tbsp olive oil and season generously.
- Put one salmon fillet, skin side down, on a roasting tray. Spread over the courgette mixture then put the other fillet on top skin side up. Tie up with string every 2.5cm/ 1 inch. Drizzle over remaining oil and season with a little sea salt. Roast for approx 40/ 45 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove the salmon from the oven allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving and place onto a serving dish. Serve with the smoky lentils.
Warm orange and black pepper sauce
You only need a spoonful of this but it's really wonderful with the fish and lentils.
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 300mls orange juice ( approx juice 3 large oranges )
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Approx 6 tablespoons double cream
- Place the shallots, pepper, orange juice and vinegar in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer until the mixture has reduced by half. Add the cream and reduce a little further on a gentle heat for approx 30 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste serve warm ( can be made ahead and reheated extra orange juice or a splash of water can be added if it becomes too thick )
Smoky Puy lentils with balsamic and pancetta
- 4 red peppers, halved, deseeded and quartered
- 3 large red onions, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g puy lentils, washed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
- 115g / 4oz pancetta lardoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- Put the peppers and red onions into a large roasting tin. Pour over 3 tablespoons olive oil and season well. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils as directed on the packet until just tender. In a jug, whisk together the remaining oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Add the pancetta and garlic to the red onions and peppers and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the pancetta is golden.
- To assemble, squeeze the pulp from the roasted garlic and whisk into the balsamic dressing. Drain the cooked lentils and transfer to a large bowl. Pour over the dressing, season well and toss together. Gently stir through half the roasted vegetables and pancetta and transfer to a serving dish. Spoon the remaining vegetables and pancetta over the lentils and serve at once.
© UTV News