This Morning's roast rack of lamb
Published Monday, 14 April 2014
This Morning chef Phil Vickery shares his recipe for the perfect roast rack of lamb with fresh mint, hollandaise asparagus and new potatoes.
This Morning's roast rack of lamb. (© ITV)
Roast Rack of Lamb with Fresh Mint
- 2 x 7 bone racks of lamb, chined
- 75ml white wine vinegar
- 75ml white wine
- 1 level tsp crushed peppercorns
- few stalks fresh mint
- 200g unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks
- half a lemon
- 4 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- Pre heat the oven to 230°C, Gas 8.
- Heat a large frying pan.
- Season the racks of lamb all over with salt and pepper really well.
- Add 2 tbsp veg oil to the hot pan and then add 2 of the racks of lamb and seal well all over.
- Place in a baking tray, skin side down and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn over and cook for a further 8-10 minutes, then remove from the oven and cover with foil and keep warm. Rest for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- To make the hollandaise place the vinegar, wine, peppercorns and mint stalks into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Boil rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half to ¾'s then strain out the peppercorns and stalks.
- Add the reduced liquid back to the pan and add the butter and again bring to a rolling boil.
- Place the egg yolks in a liquidiser and blitz for 10 seconds to break up.
- Gradually and carefully add half the boiling vinegar and butter mixture into the liquidiser in a thin stream, through the lid.
- Re boil the pan and pour the rest onto the eggs.
- Pour sauce back into the pan and stir well, and taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning adding a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh mint, cover and keep warm, it will thicken slightly.
- Serve the warm sliced lamb, the warm hollandaise spooned over.
- 500g British asparagus, nicely trimmed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ground black pepper
- juice of half a lemon
- Heat a griddle of large frying pan.
- Roll the asparagus in the oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Griddle the asparagus until lightly browned turn a couple of times, do not overcook.
- Remove, squeeze over a little lemon and serve.
Pot Roasted New Potatoes
- 100mls olive oil
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 whole bulb garlic, cut in half
- 750g small new season potatoes
- 2 large sprigs of mint
- Pre heat the 200C gas 6.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan or tray.
- Add the garlic cut side down ad then the potatoes, coat well in the oil and butter.
- Season well with salt and pepper and add the fresh mint..
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and soft.
- Remove from the oven and serve coated in the buttery, minty juices.
© UTV News