Published Thursday, 31 October 2013
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.
Bangers & Purple Mash
Are you in Northern Ireland?
1. Why is my postcode required?
We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm
you can access the video content via u.tv.
This is because some videos on u.tv
are only available in Northern Ireland.
Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.
If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at itv.com or stv.tv.
2. Why am I directed to itv.com
or stv.tv when I try to view certain
The videos, which are not available on u.tv
to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on itv.com (for users in England and Wales) or stv.tv (for most users in Scotland).
We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.
If you think we've got your location wrong, then please
Need more help? Contact us
|•||Mash & Pepper recipes|
Bangers & Purple Mash
- 1 kg Purple Majesty potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A little vegetable stock if needed.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch sea salt.
- 2 oven-baked sausages per person
- Peel and cut potatoes into even sized pieces. Place in pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to boil and cook gently for 15 minutes until tender.
- Strain the potatoes and return to pan.
- Mash with the olive oil and add hot vegetable stock if the mash is too stiff. (The potatoes will lose some of their colour if mixed with butter so use olive oil and stock instead.)
- The resulting mash should be rich and smooth in appearance and, of course, purple!
Halloween Pepper Witch Faces
- 4 peppers or 1 pepper per person (Try to use all different colours)
- 1 small packet of egg noodles
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash the peppers under a warm tap. Slice the top off, (the end with the stalk) and turn the peppers upside down, so that this now becomes the bottom.
- Now cut a lid off the new top, using zig-zag lines. Set the lid aside.
- As you would a pumpkin, cut out a scary face using a small paring knife.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles as per the packet instructions. This is usually for no more than 4mins. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once cool, mix together with the grated courgette and grated carrot.
- Stir in a tablespoon of olive oil to stop the noodles sticking together.
- Once the noodle mixture is well combined, fill the peppers with the mixture, from whichever end is easier and pull stringy bits out of the mouth, nose and eyes to make it look extra disgusting!
- Pop the lids back on the wrong faces so they are contrasting colours and shapes!
Sit the peppers on top of a bed of purple mashed potato and serve with oven-baked sausages on the side.
Halloween 'Trick or Treat' Chocolate Cupcakes
Delight (or scare!) your friends with this batch of delicious chocolate cupcakes with a fudgey-toffee middle. But that's not the surprise! One of the batch has a scary added extra, so will your cupcake be delicious or ... Mwhahaha!
- 200g soft butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 190g self-raising flour
- 15g cocoa powder
- Handful chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 small fingers of fudge bars, each chopped into 6
- Shhh ... 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Great tip - take the eggs and butter out of the fridge the night before to bring them to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C
- Prepare a bun tin with colourful cupcake cases.
- Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. (I prefer to use an electric whisk for this.)Then add the eggs and whisk until combined and light.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into the cake mixture and stir using a big metal spoon to combine. Don't over mix.
- Add the chocolate chips if using.
- Spoon the mixture into 11 of the cases, keeping one portion aside.
- In this last cupcake mixture, add the dried chilli flakes. Maybe use a special cake case so that you know which one is the 'trick'.
- Just before popping in the oven, place a piece of fudge finger on top of each cake, this will melt into the middle when cooking. Delicious.
- Cook for 13-16mins until a skewer entered into the middle of the cake comes out clean. (Remember though, you will have a soft toffee/fudgy bit in the very middle so avoid that with your skewer!)
- Set aside to cool completely before decorating.
To decorate the cakes:
- Mix a little butter with icing sugar until well combined and quite firm.
- Use some natural food colouring to make half of it orange and half of it green.
- Decorate using mini marshmallows as teeth and eyes, liquorice laces spewing out of the mouth, food colouring dribbles, especially red for blood. Popping candy is great to add a little extra surprise on top of the cakes, but put this on just before its eaten otherwise it'll explode before it hits your mouth!
- You can also hide sour jelly sweets inside the cakes before you decorate them.
- Once the cakes are cooled, you can cut a lid out, take out a bit of the middle sponge and replace with a sour sweetie; then pop the lid back on and decorate as above.
Sally says: "I love all this scary stuff! Basically, one of the cakes has chilli flakes in. When you bite into it, the first 10 seconds feel just like a normal chocolate cupcake, and then the chilli kicks in.
"I've checked it out with a doc - this is perfectly safe for children. In fact, I've tried it out on my kids and it had the desired effect - just a bit of funny face pulling and 'eurk' but nothing more than that!"
She also says that, as an alternative to handing out sweets to trick or treaters, you could get your own back by handing out Surprise Halloween Ice-Cream Cones!
- Make the cake mixture exactly as above, but instead of putting the mixture in cupcake cases, bake it in flat bottomed wafer ice-cream cones.
- Divide the mixture between 12 cones, and place on a baking sheet to bake for the same amount of time. You can still make one of the batch a 'trick' by adding the chilli flakes before cooking and decorate as scarily as you dare!
- Wrap in black and orange tissue paper ready to hand out to anyone that dares knock on your door tonight!
© UTV News