This Morning's Murgh Nilgiri chicken
Published Friday, 01 March 2013
Reza Mahammad's delicious chicken dish is served up with a coriander sauce and coconut milk.
Reza whips up a Friday night curry (© ITV)
- 400g chopped coriander with stalks
- 6 finger green chillies
- 2tbsp white cashew nuts soaked in 100ml hot water for 15 minutes then drained
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3-4 tbsp ghee/clarified butter/vegetable oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder4 cloves garlic finely crushed
- 4cm piece finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1kg boneless chicken breasts or thighs or a combination of both
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Salt to season
- Blend together the coriander, chillies, cashew nuts and the coconut milk in a food processor or blender until it becomes a smooth paste, decant into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the clarified butter or ghee over a medium heat in a wide heavy bottomed saucepan until hot. Add the onions along with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook until they become soft and not browned. This will affect the colour of the dish if the onions are browned. Add the garlic and ginger, continue to cook for a minute to allow them to mellow out. Now add the cumin, coriander and the chilli powder.
- Stir fry for up to 3 minutes, then add the coriander paste. Cook for a few minutes then add the chicken. Bring to the boil, simmer until the chicken becomes tender (approx 12-15 minutes).
- Finally sprinkle some garam masala and adjust seasoning.