This Morning's Huevos Rancheros
Published Friday, 14 March 2014
Former Celebrity Masterchef winner Lisa Faulkner is in the This Morning kitchen cooking a traditional Mexican mid-morning feast of huevos rancheros, which consists of eggs, tortillas and spicy tomato sauce
Lisa Faulkner cooks a traditional Mexican feast of Huevos Rancheros. (© Rex Features)
- 4 corn tortillas or other flat breads
- 4 large free range eggs
- Oil for cooking
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 red chillies finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 150g chorizo, chopped
- 2 tins plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- salt and black pepper
- chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan and soften the onion and the chilli over a low heat for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and chorizo and once the chorizo has a nice bit of colour, add the tomatoes, breaking them up a bit when stirring them in, then add the sugar.
- Leave to cook for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes have cooked down and the sauce has thickened. You can add a bit of water if it gets too thick. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- I would dry fry the tortillas in a frying pan, but you could brush them with oil and bake them in the oven until crispy.
- To assemble the breakfast, top each tortilla with a couple of spoonfuls of the tomato sauce and then a fried egg (and any other toppings you would like - see below). Garnish with coriander.
- Top tortillas with a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce and then a fried egg (and cheese/avocado/refried beans). Garnish with coriander.
© UTV News