Phil Vickery's Weekend Brunch
Published Friday, 01 August 2014
There's no such thing as a relaxing weekend when the kids are on summer holidays, so Phil Vickery has a recipe for a family brunch to give you all the energy you need to get through.
Phil Vickery's Weekend Brunch. (© ITV)
Easy Ham, Potato and Egg Brunch
Serves: 4-6 persons
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 4-6 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 small very onion finely chopped
- 500g new potatoes, halved lengthways, cooked and cooled
- 125g bag fresh spinach
- 1 x 400g green canned lentils, drained (Bijoux Vert Lentils Co-Op)
- 4-6 medium eggs
- 500g cooked thick sliced, ham, honey glazed perfect
- In a large pan heat the oil and add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, stir well and brown slightly for approx. 5-6 minutes.
- Once lightly browned, add the spinach and well drained lentils and season well.
- Saute quickly and warm through.
- Fry the eggs in a separate pan season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve ham along side the potato fry and top with the fried eggs.
Warm Honey French Toast with Yogurt and Summer Fruit
Serves: 4-6 persons
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes.
- 4 medium eggs
- 100mls cold milk or whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp runny honey
- 8 medium slices brioche (1 day old is best)
- 50g-75g unsalted butter
For the topping:
- 500g tub thick passionfruit yogourt (The collective one is brilliant, Co-Op)
- 100g raspberries
- 100g strawberries, halved
- 100g blueberries
- Heat a large sauté pan.
- Place the eggs, milk and honey into a bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Place the 8 slices of brioche and then soak each one in the egg mixture.
- Melt the butter in the heated sauté pan and once it starts foaming, add the soaked slices of brioche.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, turning once - you have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan.
- Meanwhile place the fruit into a bowl and add enough yogourt to just coat the fruit.
- Serve the warm toasts in a bowl and top with the fruit.
- Add a little more yogourt on top and serve.
© UTV News