Phil Vickery's Bean Soup
Published Thursday, 12 June 2014
While everybody may be talking football, Phil Vickery and Alison Hammond discover it's actually music and food that's the heart of Brazil, as Phil tucks into the wonders of the Brazilian cuisine and makes his own bean soup.
Phil Vickery's Bean Soup. (© ITV)
- 1 x 400g tin of butter or cannelini beans
- 2 small chopped onions, lightly fried
- 200g pre cooked Andouille sausage
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- Water or stock to cover
- Juice half a large orange
- You can use any kind of tinned beans like haricot or cannellini, drain then well from the cans. Cover with water and bring to the simmer.
- Meanwhile fry and chop onion. Chop a pre-cooked sausage or ham and then add both the onion and the ham to the beans and the liquid.
- Then roughly bash some garlic - and add it and a squeeze of orange
- Leave it to cook gently for about 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the liquid level.
- Add some greenery - like finely sliced cabbage, spring greens or spinach
- Season to taste. Add a dash of olive oil when serving.
© UTV News