Published Tuesday, 10 September 2013
But in his first interview since his bombshell letter from America, he remained defiant.
He told me that he had been and still is prepared to run with the Maze project. But he said he had made it clear all along that there could be no glorification of terrorism.
Sinn Féin therefore had only themselves to blame over the Maze decision, he maintained.
Mr Robinson added that they had not behaved responsibly over their commemoration event at Castlederg and that their actions meant the public could not trust them over the Maze Peace Centre.
He brushed off any suggestion of a threat to his leadership. The DUP stands by its manifesto, its principles and its leadership, he insisted.
As for any suggestion of a major fall-out between himself and Martin McGuinness - well, it wasn't their first problem and they would deal with it and move on, he claimed.
But Mr Robinson may find that it may not be as easy as all that.
His political rivals now know pressure can force him to change his mind. Party members, such as Upper Bann MP David Simpson, have made clear that they put pressure on the leader over the Maze.
And his working relationship with his partner in government, Martin McGuinness, is now strained.
Mr Robinson clearly believes nothing has happened in recent weeks which has damaged him as First Minister, DUP leader or one half of an uneasy partnership in government.
We shall see ...
© UTV News