Published Wednesday, 12 October 2011
From my own sources, it was clear Sir Desmond de Silva was to have a key role in the government's proposals.
There was a clear indication an inquiry would be the way the government would proceed.
It was certainly the impression the family had as they headed to London and the meeting with David Cameron.
But it was an angry Geraldine Finucane who told startled reporters the PM had offered a review to be conducted instead of an inquiry.
The obvious question was why?
Is the Government so worried the reality behind the murder is so dreadful, it must never come out?
Has a decision been taken that dealing with the past should be kept at a distance?
David Cameron told me last week there would be no more costly or open-ended inquiries.
In the House of Commons he said he was certain the De Silva review would reveal the truth.
The Finucane family are not impressed.
They are refusing to co-operate with the review and say the campaign for an inquiry will continue.
Politically the local parties took up their predictable positions.
The Irish Government is likely to lodge strong objections but the Prime Minister has made up his mind.
I suspect we have not heard the last of this issue and the past, in general.
Shocks or no shocks.
© UTV News