Sport

Keane will not pursue Celtic talks

Roy Keane will remain in his role with the Republic of Ireland.

Roy Keane has chosen not to pursue talks to become the new manager of Celtic.

Monday, 02 June 2014
Tags:
  • football
  • Sport

The 42-year-old had emerged as the frontrunner to replace Neil Lennon as Hoops boss, however it has now been confirmed he will be staying put as Republic of Ireland assistant manager.

A statement from the Football Association of Ireland said: "The Football Association of Ireland today (June 2) confirmed that Roy Keane will travel with the Republic of Ireland squad to the US after he decided not to pursue the informal talks that took place with Celtic any further."

The development will come as something of a surprise after reports on Monday had suggested Keane was within 24 hours of taking the job with the Scottish champions.

Irish boss Martin O'Neill had confirmed on Thursday that his number two has held informal talks with Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond, after Desmond had made contact.

O'Neill said: "I had a call the other day from Dermot Desmond wanting to speak to Roy if it was at all possible, and I mentioned it to Roy, of course. I am sure he was wanting to have chat anyway because a club like Celtic might not come around too often.

"It was just a really informal chat, I think, but if you are asking me would I be really disappointed? Of course if Roy was to leave us."

However, Keane had earlier hinted it would be difficult for him to leave his current role with the Football Association of Ireland - and on Monday it was reported he had ruled himself out and had "asked not to be considered" for the role vacated by Lennon last week.

It is now expected that the Celtic job will go to ex-West Bromwich Albion manager Steve Clarke, with sacked Cardiff boss Malky Mackay and Owen Coyle, who left Wigan last year, also in the running.