Magee announces title defence
Lisburn boxer Brian Magee will defend his World title in February.
Wednesday, 18 January 2012
The 36-year-old, who won the WBA interim super-middleweight belt in July, will be challenged by Rudy Markussen in Brondby, Denmark on 18 February.
Magee has won seven out of his last eight fights, losing only to IBF Super-Middleweight Champion Lucian Bute in March 2011.
But he bounced back in July with a unanimous decision over Jamie Barboza in Costa Rica.
Markussen, known as the 'Hardhitter', hasn't boxed in Copenhagen for more than five years but has only lost one of his last 10 fights.
"I have been training since November for this and although some people think I'm a veteran I still have plenty left in me!" Magee told UTV.
His nickname says it all; I'll have to be ready for the hard hits but I am confident I will beat him.
Magee has received a boost ahead of the fight, scooping the Boxer of the Year award at this year's Irish National Awards.
It was a case of third time lucky for Magee, who had just missed out on lifting the Boxing Union of Ireland sponsored award in 2008 and 2010.
At the awards, flyweight Jamie Conlan received the Prospect of the Year gong - following on from fellow Belfast natives Carl Frampton and Martin Lindsay, who had previously received the honour.
Unbeaten Conlan, the older brother of London 2012 Olympian Michael, boxes in Liverpool on Saturday in his eighth professional contest.
Also at the event, Dubliner Paschal Collins was named Coach of the Year and Cork middleweight Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan was named Irish Champion of the Year.