Two injured in Belfast shooting
Two men are being treated in hospital for gunshot wounds following an attack in north Belfast.
Friday, 15 February 2013
The shooting in the Oldpark Road area happened at around 7.30pm on Friday.
A NI Ambulance Service spokesman said two ambulances attended but by the time they arrived the victims were gone.
One of the men underwent emergency surgery while the other was being assessed by doctors.
Sinn Féin MLA Gerry Kelly has spoken out against the attack.
"This is the second shooting in north Belfast within the last week and has to be condemned. There is no place for these gun gangs in our community and the people do not want them.
"This shooting damages the community and the people behind them need to stop," he said.
Nichola Mallon, SDLP councillor for the area, described the shooting as a "cowardly and violent" attack.
"The spread of gun shots in a busy built up residential area in the early evening shows a reckless regard for people living here.
"Those that resort to such cowardly and violent attacks have no place and serve no purpose for the people of north Belfast. We are seeing a worrying disregard for human life and an escalation of street violence which is totally unacceptable," she said.
Alliance MLA Stewart Dickson called for anyone with information about the shooting to contact police.
"Tonight's events have also inconvenienced a whole community, proving yet again why it is essential we face all problems facing our society in a practical way, building a better, shared future for everyone," said the party's justice spokesperson.
"It is only when the community backs the police in their fight for justice that we can begin to rid our streets of this behaviour."
The Oldpark Road was closed between its junction with Oldpark Avenue and Ardoyne Avenue.