Under-car bomb 'targeted soldier'
Police investigating the booby-trap bomb found in west Belfast believe that the intended target may have been a soldier, it has emerged.
Tuesday, 20 November 2012
The Belfast Telegraph reports that detectives are no longer sure the target was a PSNI officer.
"At the end of last week, it looked for everything that it was a cop," a source told the paper. "Things have changed."
The viable explosive device, which police said was designed to "kill and main", was discovered on Ballymagarry Lane off the Ballygomartin Road - near Springhill Primary School - last Monday.
It was taken away for forensic examination after it was made safe by Army technical experts.
The device was thought to have fallen from a vehicle belonging to its intended target.
While the military target is the current line of investigation, others are still being examined.
No grouping has yet admitted responsibility for the bomb.
Police have appealed for anyone who travelled along Ballymagarry Lane between Wednesday 7 November and Saturday 10 November, and who saw anything unusual, to contact them.
They have also appealed for anyone who saw any unknown vehicles or persons acting suspiciously in this area at this time to come forward.