Man jailed over drunken kebab row
A Belfast man who broke another man's jaw in two places in a drunken fight over a kebab has been jailed for five years.
Wednesday, 20 June 2012
Ordering 24-year-old Gary Bain to serve two years in custody and three on licence, Belfast Crown Court Judge Patrick Lynch told him he had committed an "appalling series of acts" against his victim and the officers who arrested him.
Earlier the judge heard that his victim Jonathan Newell was standing outside a fast food restaurant on Bradbury Place in the early hours of 11 September last year when a kebab was snatched out of his hand.
Prosecuting lawyer David McClean said he ran after the two men who stole it but that one, Bain, punched him in the mouth, knocking him to the ground where the pair kicked and stamped on him.
Officers arrived on the scene during the attack but Bain, who is from Chamberlain Street in the city, fled the scene.
When eventually detained a short distance away on Lower Crescent, he "became aggressive," was "foaming at the mouth" and was lashing out in what was described as a "protracted violent struggle" during which a sergeant was punched in the face.
Striking him at least three times with batons, officers got control of Bain and arrested him.
Bain eventually pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Mr Newell and charges of resisting and assaulting police.
As well as the jail term, Judge Lynch ordered that as part of Bain's licence conditions, he undertake alcohol counselling.