UTV Media plc and each of its group companies ("we") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the 'Act'), the data controller is UTV Media plc, Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1EB. UTV Media plc is the data controller for various UTV group companies. Please note that the personal information collected from each UTV website, including this Website, will be stored separately.
NOTE: This policy only applies to this Website and not to the companies, individuals, organisations or other websites/applications/widgets to which there are links (e.g. from social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter ), which are incorporated into our Website or via which we offer our Services, nor does it cover advertisers.
Also, please note that certain pages and services provided on our Website or via our Services are hosted, managed and operated by a third party.
These third parties are companies wholly independent of us and are solely responsible for all aspects of any transaction you may make using such services. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these Websites.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.u.tv (the Website). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Website, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by UTV Media plc or any of its group companies, and when you report a problem with the Website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the Website and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
GEO-BLOCKING AND REGIONALISATION
Some of our Services may not be available outside the United Kingdom or within certain regions of the United Kingdom.
We may therefore need to collect location data from you (e.g. by determining your location from your IP address or by accessing GPS functionality on your device) or we may request you provide your location to us (e.g. by providing your postcode).
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on your browser or the hard drive of your computer.
Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve the Website and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
Some of the cookies we use are essential for the Website to operate. They enable us:
- to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Website according to your individual interests;
- to speed up your searches; and
- to recognise you when you return to our Website.
Cookies are widely used in order to make Websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the Website.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies.
You can find more detailed information about our cookies here.
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff working for us or for one of our suppliers and operating outside the EEA.
Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- to notify you about changes to our Website or our Website Terms and Conditions of Use.
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (email or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, men in Northern Ireland).
We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
We are serious about guarding the security of your personal details. We have strict security procedures covering the storage and disclosure of your information in order to prevent unauthorised access and to comply with the Act. This means that sometimes we may ask you for proof of identity before disclosing any personal information to you.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If UTV Media plc or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets. This may also be the case in the event of an acquisition of the relevant UTV group company or substantially all of its assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions of Use (a copy of which can be found elsewhere on this Website) and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of UTV Media plc, its group companies, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us by completing the 'Contact us' section appearing on this Website.
You can withdraw your consent for us to hold your details by writing to or emailing us, including your name and full address, requesting a full removal of your details from our database.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a small fee for each request made by you to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Information collected by cookies is used to provide summative statistics about our customers, and other Website information to third parties. Cookies do not include any personally identifiable information.
This Website allows third-party companies to serve ads, restrict the amounts of pop-ups you get and/or collect certain anonymous information when you and other Internet users visit.
These companies may use information (such as click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this Website and other Websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you.
These companies typically use a cookie or third-party Web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising if you do not agree, you can visit networkadvertising.orgor http://www.aboutads.info
We have a responsibility to keep your information confidential and we take all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorised access to your personal data.
We do not disclose information that you may give, such as name, address, telephone number or email address to any outside companies. However, we reserve the right to access and disclose individually identifiable information to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests, to operate its systems properly or to protect itself or its users.