Tipton puts Blues back on top

Published Friday, 21 February 2014
Toggle font size

A Matthew Tipton penalty gave Linfield the Big Two honours at The Oval on Friday night.

Tipton puts Blues back on top
Mathew Tipton celebrates scoring for the Blues on Friday. (© Pacemaker)

The match finished 1-0 and David Jeffrey's side go back on top of the table, two points ahead of Cliftonville who play Dungannon on Saturday.

The first chance fell to the Blues created after a great run by Ivan Sproule with his teasing cross cut out before it could reach Matthew Tipton and Andrew Waterworth in the box.

The Glens had to wait until 23 minutes for their first chance and it fell to Calum Birney from a Jordan Stewart corner but his header flew over the crossbar.

Linfield were denied the opening goal thanks to a fine save by Elliott Morris to push away Jamie Mulgrew's effort.

Two minutes later and Morris was on hand again to make another great save, this time dealing with a downward header by Sproule at the back post.

The pressure was all coming from Linfield and they had their best chance to take the lead on 37 minutes when Sproule's shot was saved although the ball clipped off defender Birney and looked to be heading over the line only for Jay Magee to make the vital clearance.

Three minutes before the break another chance fell to Linfield as Mulgrew fed Lowry whose 20 yard shot hit the bar.

After soaking up all the pressure the Glens almost hit the Blues with a sucker punch with Curtis Allen beating the offside trap and connected well, Tuffey did well to make the save, the rebound fell to Allen, but Tuffey managed to scoop the ball away from his boot as he was about to score.

Linfield's efforts were finally rewarded six minutes into the second half when Matthew Tipton converted from the penalty spot after Stewart had brought down Ward in the box.

After a fairly lively opening half little happened after the goal until 74 minutes when
BJ Burns found Waterworth and one-on-one with Morris he fired his shot against his legs.

With 12 minutes to go Morris made another fine save to keep out a header from Andy Waterworth.

A stunning strike from Richard Clarke salvaged a point for Crusaders as their clash with Glenavon ended 2-2.

Glenavon have not won at Seaview on the last nine visits and their hopes to banish that poor record took a blow on eight minutes when they fell behind.

A long throw in was flicked on by Gary McCutcheon and Jordan Owens was unmarked to turn and fire a shot past James McGrath.

McGrath did well to deny Paul Heatley a second a few minutes later with a smart save and then at the other end.

Tiarnan Mulvenna saw his 20-yard effort rise over the bar.

Glenavon hit back on 24 minutes with Brian McCaul whipping in a corner, the ball seemed to be going in at the back post but Gareth McKeown was on the line to make sure.

That goal certainly gave Glenavon more confidence and they had a chance to take a half-time lead with a free kick at the edge of the box but Patton's effort was deflected over.

Five minutes into the second half and Glenavon stunned the home fans and it was former Crues striker David Rainey who fired the visitors ahead with a stunning angled drive that flew past Sean O'Neill.

The second half saw little of note until 77 minutes when Clarke let fly from 30 yards out and his effort flew into the top corner.

Glenavon had a great chance to take all three points when sub Guy Bates slipped the ball to Patton but his shot flew inches wide of the post.

In the end it finished all square, Glenavon the happier of the two sides.

Ballinamallard won the basement battle at Ferney Park 1-0.

The home side made a positive start with Liam Martin well positioned to give them an early breakthrough on 12 minutes but he could only direct his shot straight at the keeper.

Then from a free kick Mark Stafford nods an effort wide of the Ards goal.

Ballinamallard finally forged ahead and it was from the penalty spot after McManus was fouled in the box. Jason McCartney made no mistake from the spot kick.

The Mallards remained on top for the remainder of the half with Martin having a shot blocked and Campbell shaved the woodwork.

After a slow start to the second half Murphy did well to save a snapshot from Downey.

Ards made a late rally with a couple of half chances but it was not enough to change the outcome.

Friday's results in full:

Ballinamallard 1-0 Ards
Ballinamallard: McCartney 40 (PEN).

Crusaders 2-2 Glenavon
Crusaders: Owens 8, Clarke 78.
Glenavon: McKeown 24, Rainey 50.

Glentoran 0-1 Linfield
Linfield: Tipton 51 (PEN).

© UTV News
Comments Comments
mark in ards wrote (339 days ago):
it was like watching paint dry, boring.
not surprised in Belfast wrote (340 days ago):
Glentoran lie down to allow linfield to go back to the top!!! Gutless.
Darzo in Co Down wrote (341 days ago):
Well done linfield good result for us tonight! Very good performance start to finish we played some good football in a bad night for football!! SUPER LINFIELD
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
While Crusaders may be bossing the Danske Bank Premiership, it was their North Belfast rivals Cliftonville who made the headlines again this weekend.
January snow
Tue 13 January 2015
Ravenhill Road fish spill
Sun 25 January 2015
Wed 07 January 2015