Published Wednesday, 25 June 2014
Suarez dismissed the incident in interviews. (© Getty)
The Liverpool striker clashed with Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini in the final Group D game.
The South Americans won the game 1-0 against 10-men Italy in Natal in Brazil.
Replays appear to show the 27-year-old, during a tussle in the box with the defender, bite the player.
Suarez brushed off the incident and defended himself on Uruguayan television.
He said: "These situations happen on the pitch, we were both just inside the area, he struck me in the chest with his shoulder and he hit me in the eye as well.
"These are things that happen on the pitch and you shouldn't attach so much importance to them.
"I'm very happy to have qualified. We are taking each game as it comes, we know that we're in a difficult situation, we're at our limits now."
Chiellini, however, insisted Suarez knew exactly what he was doing and was dismayed he was not sent off.
The 29-year-old told Rai TV: "It was ridiculous not to send Suarez off, it is clear, clear-cut and there was the obvious dive afterwards because he knew very well that he did something that he shouldn't have done."
Suarez and the Uruguayan FA have been given until 9pm on Wednesday to provide evidence to support his case.
FIFA's disciplinary code sets a maximum ban of 24 matches or two years, which would rule Suarez out of Saturday's encounter against Colombia in Rio de Janeiro and any subsequent matches in the World Cup.
Prior to the incident, Suarez had been one of the best players in the competition and for his country despite lacking full match fitness.
FIFA vice-president and former IFA president Jim Boyce said world football's governing body had to tackle the issue "seriously and take whatever action necessary".
Suarez has been banned twice for biting opponents in the past.
He was suspended for 10 matches in 2013 for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic, and in 2010 he was given a seven-game ban while playing for Ajax for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal.
© UTV News