Published Friday, 18 May 2012
Kenny Dalglish and Brendan Rodgers at the Liberty Stadium. (© Getty)
King Kenny's reign came to an end on Wednesday, after his side only managed an eighth place finish behind rival Merseyside club Everton.
While Fenway Sports Group have been given the go-ahead to speak to Wigan's Roberto Martinez, they also had Rodgers in their sights.
"When Liverpool sacked Kenny, I have to say I thought Liverpool would be knocking on the door and sure enough they are," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said.
"I would love to keep him, but I have told Roberto he has my permission to speak with Liverpool."
Meanwhile Rodgers, who has enjoyed an impressive first season in the top flight with the Swans, rejected the approach from Liverpool.
A Swansea statement said: "The club is pleased to confirm that Brendan has declined the current opportunity to speak to the Anfield club about the vacant position."
The 39-year-old signed a new deal in February, keeping him at the Liberty Stadium for the next three-and-a-half years.
His newly promoted side are still flying high after finishing in 11th place in the Premiership, claiming scalps over league champions Manchester City and Arsenal along the way.
The Welsh team will now be boosted again by their manager's commitment to building on their progress.
But, with Rodgers previously having been linked to Chelsea and Aston Villa and then the subject of speculation over the position at Anfield, Swans chairman Huw Jenkins has admitted they'll have to get used to him being in demand.