Published Wednesday, 05 September 2012
Alessandro Del Piero is on his way to Australian side Sydney FC. (© Getty)
Another Northern Ireland man, Lurgan-born Celtic boss Neil Lennon, had also been in the hunt to sign the veteran Italian player.
The move by Del Piero to Sydney had already seemed like a done deal by the recent closure of the summer transfer window, but it was only officially confirmed at a press conference on Wedneday.
Liverpool and Southampton are both understood to have made late offers, but have been left disappointed by the announcement.
The message is to keep the faith.
Del Piero himself admitted it wasn't an easy decision, but added that he was more than happy with his final choice.
"I wanted to evaluate with great attention all the possibilities and offers I received in these months," the 37-year-old said.
"Why Sydney? First of all, because they really wanted to have me there.
"They weren't the only ones, but the project they presented seemed to be specially tailored for me - it won me over both as an athlete and a person."
Del Piero added: "I was lucky to win everything during my career and to end it in Italy winning once again with the team of my life, Juventus.
"I was looking for something new, something different, something that wouldn't have things in common with my past, a totally new experience. And I have found it in Sydney."
Rodgers is now left facing yet another headache, having looked to the possible signing of Del Piero to ease his squad woes.
Liverpool have also missed out on the opportunity to snap up free agent Michael Owen, after he finalised a deal taking him to Stoke City.
I'm not here to cry. I can't do anything about it. The reality is we've got the group we've got.
Speculation remains that the Reds will have to make a move for Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba or French star Nicolas Anelka, if they are released by Chinese outfit Shanghai Shenhua.
"Any player I believe can improve the squad, I will look at - I can't say no, I always have to look and see where we can improve the group," Rodgers said previously, realising the club's difficult position.
Principal owner John Henry, of the Fenway Sport Group, has already written an open letter to fans.
He warned that "risky spending" wouldn't be an option and that Liverpool needed to build for the long-term future, rather than settle for quick fixes.