Luis Suarez in 'all football' ban

Published Thursday, 26 June 2014
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

Uruguay and Liverpool FC footballer Luis Suarez has been booted out of the World Cup and banned from all football for four months, after biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini.

Luis Suarez in 'all football' ban
Uruguay's Luis Suarez bit Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during a World Cup game. (© Getty)

UTV NEWS POLL

Do you agree with FIFA’s punishment for Luis Suarez?
Do you agree with FIFA’s punishment for Luis Suarez?



The controversial forward has been handed a nine-game international ban and been fined just under £66,000 over the incident, which happened during his side's final group game on Tuesday.

Uruguay won 1-nil over Italy to secure their place in the next round of the competition at their opponents' expense.

The news regarding the punishment was confirmed by FIFA during a briefing in Rio de Janeiro.

"The player Luis Suarez is to be suspended for nine official matches," a statement said.

"The first match of this suspension is to be served in the upcoming FIFA World Cup fixture between Colombia and Uruguay on 28 June 2014."

FIFA clarified that Suarez is banned from any kind of football-related activity for either Uruguay or Liverpool for four months and that he is further banned from entering any stadium during that time.

However, he could be transferred to another club if Liverpool decided to sell him.

Claudio Sulser, the chairman of FIFA's disciplinary committee, said: "Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch and, in particular, not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field."

The punishment, for breaching FIFA's code on assault and unsporting behaviour, is effective immediately and is the third time in Suarez's career that he has been sanctioned for biting a player.

He previously received separate bans of seven and 10 matches, while his latest sanctions will effectively see him forced to sit out the nine games for Uruguay and 12 for Liverpool.

That means he has been banned for 38 matches in total without being red-carded for any of the related offences.

A statement from Liverpool FC said only that the club would wait until they had "seen and had time to review" the FIFA disciplinary committee's report before making further comment.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
18 Comments
martin in belfast wrote (152 days ago):
he got it off lightly. I hope he gets help with his issues. Liverpool need to get shot of him asap he's already made a mockery of the club.
Stephen in Belfast wrote (153 days ago):
No ones bigger than the club. As a Liverpool supporter, get rid of him. I was more understanding the first time, but this is now the 3rd. Hes no respect and just thinks its a big joke. We dont need that dragging us down, he can be replaced in the transfer period. Stand by your players, yes. But not when they dont learn from previous lessons. Hes a burdon
WALTER in BELFAST wrote (153 days ago):
THEY'RE ARE BEGINNING TO CALL SUAREZ THE TOOTH FAIRY.
WALTER in BELFAST wrote (153 days ago):
HEAR SUAREZ SIGNED A NEW SPONSORSHIP DEAL WITH COLGATE.
Nonbigot in Lurgan wrote (154 days ago):
Far to much, I'm a Chelsea supporter and I think it's unfair on Liverpool , they did nothing wrong and it's giving the other P. League teams an unfair advantage
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
THE SOCIAL CLUB
"Who's that? Is that yer woman from the darts talking about football?"
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Flash flooding
Thu 13 November 2014
I
Wed 12 November 2014
The X Factor Live: Week 4
Sat 01 November 2014