Published Monday, 28 May 2012
Darren Clarke hopes to rest and recover in time for the Irish Open. (© Getty)
The 43-year-old has been advised to rest a groin problem that first bothered him the week before last month's Masters and then resurfaced at last week's BMW PGA Championship.
Clarke has also withdrawn from next week's Nordea Masters in Sweden, so his next appearance is now expected to be the Irish Open at Royal Portrush from 28 June.
Clarke says he wants make sure he is 100% ready for Royal Lytham, where he will start his Open defence at the end of July.
I am extremely disappointed as Open champion that I will not be able to play the US Open.
"I have been advised not to play for a month," he said.
"I've not been able to get through the ball properly and I don't want to take any chances."
Clarke has not had a single top-10 finish since his triumph last summer, when he finally achieved his dream of a major title 20 years after he made his debut.
He leapt from 111th in the world to 30th with that victory, but is already back down to 73rd.
Clarke has played only two US Opens since 2004.
© UTV News