Blues and Crues face Irish Cup replay

Blues and Crues face Irish Cup replay

Irish Cup holders Linfield and Crusaders will have to do it all again after a drama-filled cup tie ended 2-2 at Windsor Park.

The replay will take place on Tuesday week at Seaview - something the Blues will not relish as they do not like playing on the artificial surface.

There was a dream start for the Crues, ahead after just 11 seconds when a long ball by Gareth McKeown found Gary McCutcheon and the striker gave Alan Blayney no chance from close range.

The Blues almost found themselves two down on eight minutes when Declan Caddell just failed to connect with another McKeown delivery.

Linfield's first sight of goal arrived on eight minutes with Mark McAllister bringing a fine save out of Sean O'Neill.

Crusaders suffered a double blow on 19 minutes, conceding the equaliser and losing goalkeeper Sean O'Neill through injury. Linfield's in-form striker Matthew Tipton was the man behind the goal, his shot was spilled by O'Neill and Brian McCaul was quick to pounce and tap the ball over the line.

O'Neill injured his shoulder trying to make the save and was unable to continue and with no goalkeeper on the bench midfielder Chris Morrow took over in goal.

Linfield took the lead on 32 minutes but not without controversy with referee Colin Burns awarding the goal although Crusaders will contest the ball did not cross the line. It all came about when a shot from Michael Gault was touched on by Tipton and the Blues had overcome that dreadful start.

The first half drama continued with the home team reduced to ten men just before the break when Johnny Black was red carded for a rash challenge on Aiden Watson.

It was all square again on 55 minutes as Timmy Adamson saw his overhead kick hit the woodwork but he reacted quickest to drill the rebound home and it was game on.

Both teams had chances to win the tie, but in the end a draw was perhaps a fair result.

Cliftonville are safely through after seeing off Ballinamallard 4-2 at Solitude. Joe Gormley fired the Reds in front on 4 minutes but United hit back within 60 seconds as Campbell made it 1-1.

Gormley struck again from the penalty spot before Liam Boyce chipped in with a late double to seal the win.

There was late drama at Ballymena United as the home team clinched a late winner through Alan Davidson to deny battling Warrenpoint a replay.

United hit the front through Shane Dolan but Johnston levelled the tie on 71 minutes before that late winner.

Gary Twigg was the two goal hero for Portadown as they won the Mid-Ulster Cup tie 2-1 against Dungannon who made the home fans sweat for the last 15 minutes after Josh Cahoon pulled a goal back.

Last season Glentoran were involved in one of the biggest cup upsets for years when they crashed out to Newington, but they made no mistake this time around as they romped to a 4-1 win over Killymoon thanks to goals from Birney, Kane, Clarke and Waterworth. Ferry scored for the minnows.

A late equaliser at Inver Park denied Lurgan Celtic from causing a shock win. They led through a Fitzpatrick penalty but Workman struck a minute before the end to force a replay.

Coleraine were the highest scorers of the day as they swept aside Ballynahinch United 7-0.

On target for the Bannsiders were Allen, Harkness (2 pens), Owens, Lowry (2) and McMullan.

Glenavon were not far behind on the goal trail as they saw off H&W Welders 5-1 thanks to goals from Brown, Bates, Martyn, McGrory and McDaid. Welders scored on 90 minutes through Adams.

Institute saw off a stubborn challenge from Rathfriland to win 2-1. Loughgall took the lead against Donegal Celtic through Wesley Boyle but the visitors hit back with goals from Bradley and Miskimmon to go through 2-1.

Lisburn Distillery survived a potential banana skin after going a goal down to Coagh United at home but they eased through in the end with goals from Halliday, Simpson (pen), Hughes (2) and Davidson.

Bangor had the edge in their tie to win 3-2 at Ballyclare Comrades. Murray, Waterson and Cahill found the net for the winners while Comrades goals came from Higgins and McClurg.

Ards beat Immaculata 4-0 in a game which saw three red cards - one for the home team and two for the visitors. Among the goals for Ards were Arthurs, Burrows, Moffett and Cockcroft.

In the early kick-offs Dundela came through a seven goal thriller to defeat Queen's University 4-3. Willie Faulkner with a hat-trick and Jackson were on target for Dundela while a brace from Lavery and an og from Gourley kept Queen's in it.

Knockbreda powered their way into the next round with a 5-1 thumping of Rosario YC. On target for Knockbreda were Wright, Young (2), Chimes and Downey og. McGacken scored on 90 minutes for Rosario.

Tobermore United (Doherty 2) and Kilmore Rec (Trainor, Douglas pen) finished 2-2, the replay is on Tuesday week.

Irish Cup sixth round draw

Ties to be played on Saturday 9 February:

  • Lisburn Distillery v Dundela
  • Cliftonville v Donegal Celtic
  • Bangor v Glentoran
  • Institute v Tobermore or Kilmore Rec.
  • Ballymena Utd v Coleraine
  • Linfield or Crusaders v Glenavon
  • Larne or Lurgan Celtic v Knockbreda
  • Portadown v Ards


Elsewhere on the Web

More Top Stories

UTV Digest

Your daily digest of the most popular UTV Stories

Back to Top