Bates stuns Glens with late winner

Glentoran 1-2 Glenavon
Published Monday, 10 March 2014
Toggle font size

Glenavon stunned Irish Cup holders Glentoran with two goals in the final two minutes to dump Eddie Patterson's side out of the cup.

Bates stuns Glens with late winner
Glenavon’s goalscorer Kris Lindsay celebrates. (© Presseye)

Glenavon looked down and out but Kris Lindsay nodded home on 88 minutes to level the tie and the drama had not finished with Bates drilling a low shot wide of Morris to set up a semi-final tie against Crusaders.

There was an early chance for Jim O'Hanlon as he came in from an angle but his weak shot was easily gathered by James McGrath.

On 10 minutes Glenavon had a lucky escape when a penetrating run from David Scullion ended with a shot high over the bar.

Glenavon had to wait until 18 minutes for their first effort on goal and it almost brought reward. An inswinging cross from Tiarnan Mulvenna was met by Andy McGrory and Morris needed two attempts to made the save.

Then Mulvenna connected well from the edge of the box but Jay Magee made a timely block.

The next 15 minutes were rather mundane but three minutes before the break a hand ball by Henderson gave Glenavon a free kick and Gareth McKeown's firm drive fell to Mulvenna but Morris made the save.

Glentoran grabbed the opening goal in first half stoppage time.

A slip by Marshall allowed Scullion to thread the ball through to Jordan Stewart who ran into the box but was brought down by McGrath.

A penalty was the outcome and only a yellow for the Glenavon keeper. Jay Magee fired home from the spot to give the Glens the edge at the break.

Glenavon made a good start to second half with Mulvenna spreading the ball to McGrory but Martyn conceded a foul trying to make contact in the box.

The home side went close to adding another goal when a cross from Bradley was met by O'Hanlon but the ball bounced inches wide.

After a period of pressure from Glenavon they almost levelled when McKeown's long throw was not cleared, the ball fell to Hamilton who struck a sweet volley which smashed off the chest of Morris who really knew little about it.

Morris again came to the rescue with two stunning saves to deny Hamilton and McGrory.

With time running out Lindsay scored in a packed goalmouth and then Bates added the dream comeback for Glenavon on 90 minutes.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
Mark in Belfast wrote (321 days ago):
Glenman through thick n thin, Best player on the park was young matthew kerr who came on as sub. This kid has a big future at the oval, if we can keep him.
Hopeful in Belfast wrote (322 days ago):
It seems Gary Hamilton is the fabourite for the Linfield job, Glenavon should ask big Davy to take them over.
Newtownabbey in Newtownabbey wrote (323 days ago):
Compared to the heavily funded Linfield FC? Buy every player in the league and win one County Antrim Shield in two years! Lol
s magowan in belfast wrote (323 days ago):
What sort of a cup final are we going to have this year?With all the well supported teams out of the competition,may as well hold the final at Ballyskeagh or Dixon Park
EDDIE in Shankill Rd wrote (323 days ago):
What a terrible team the Glens are. Penniless, clueless, leaderless, Brilliant.Loving it, every minute of it.Linfield Till I Die.
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
While Crusaders may be bossing the Danske Bank Premiership, it was their North Belfast rivals Cliftonville who made the headlines again this weekend.
January snow
Tue 13 January 2015
Ravenhill Road fish spill
Sun 25 January 2015
Wintry weather
Wed 28 January 2015