Published Monday, 02 June 2014
The woman died at the scene of the fire. (© Pacemaker)
Emergency crews were called to Greenland Walk in the Co Antrim town in the early hours of Monday morning following reports of a blaze in an end terrace, two storey property.
It is believed the fire had started accidentally in an upstairs bedroom.
The lady, in her late 70s, was rescued from the house by firefighters who carried out first aid on her prior to the arrival of paramedics.
However a spokesperson for the Fire Service said: "Despite the best efforts of firefighters and Ambulance Personnel the lady sadly died at the scene."
The fire, which was reported at 5.44am, was extinguished shortly before 8am after two appliances from Larne and one from Ballyclare attended.
The spokesperson added: "Fire Crews dealt with a fire in an upstairs bedroom. The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental and the incident was dealt with at 7.50am."
© UTV News