Published Tuesday, 11 September 2012
The NIFRS said the fire was accidental. (© Pacemaker)
The building in the Thomas Street area of the Co Armagh town was heavily smoke-logged when emergency crews arrived, following a call at around 5.27am on Tuesday.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside and brought the men to safety. They were given treatment at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke.
A hosereel jet and a covering jet were used to deal with the blaze - which was described as a "small accidental fire in the kitchen" - by 5.53am.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service praised the actions of a neighbour, who had smelt the smoke and raised the alarm.
"The smoke alarm in the flat was defective and a neighbour in the adjacent flat smelt the smoke and raised the alarm," a statement said.
"We would like to commend the quick thinking and good citizenship of this neighbour. We would also like to remind everyone of the importance of a working smoke alarm. Ensure you have one fitted on every floor of your home and test it once a week to make sure it is working."