Published Wednesday, 03 October 2012
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.
Are you in Northern Ireland?
1. Why is my postcode required?
We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm
you can access the video content via u.tv.
This is because some videos on u.tv
are only available in Northern Ireland.
Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.
If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at itv.com or stv.tv.
2. Why am I directed to itv.com
or stv.tv when I try to view certain
The videos, which are not available on u.tv
to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on itv.com (for users in England and Wales) or stv.tv (for most users in Scotland).
We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.
If you think we've got your location wrong, then please
Need more help? Contact us
As part of Belfast on the Move, the lanes came into force last month but caused major traffic tailbacks for commuters in the city.
Ciaran De Burca, DRD's Director of Transport Projects, hopes the project will cut the number of vehicles in Belfast by persuading those who pass through the city to use different routes, and gives priority to buses and cyclists.
But the traffic jams sparked angry reactions from motorists in September, when they faced significant delays.
On Tuesday it was revealed the Roads Service would team up with Translink and police in a special taskforce which will meet fortnightly for the next eight weeks to look into traffic issues in the city centre.
Lord Mayor Gavin Robinson said: "There has been huge frustration with the snarl ups of vehicles we've had at the back of City Hall and in and around the city centre.
"That's not good for business but the impact of this plan should free up lane space, should free up commuters, residents, people coming into the city centre to shop or to enjoy themselves, free up the traffic space and lane space for them.
"That's the intended purpose, so when it works it will work well and Translink are already saying that it's successful from their point of view in terms of efficiency and frequency of their bus service.
"That's a good thing for the city of Belfast. We now need to make sure the private lanes for motorists are doing exactly the same," he added.
But businesses fear the effects of last month's congestion on the roads could mean a loss of business in already difficult economic times for city traders.
Belfast Chamber of Commerce's Joe Jordan said they appreciate that steps are being taken to alleviate the situation, but believes the changes were too much, too soon.
"If the bus lanes had have been phased in properly, if the enabling works had been done first, if they had their park and ride sites in place and coordinated with Translink to service those sites, we would not have needed the task force," he commented.