Boy critical after clothes caught fire

Published Friday, 16 November 2012
Toggle font size

A four-year-old boy is in a critical condition in hospital after he was found running down a Ballymena street with his clothes on fire.

Video available to UK viewers only.
We’re sorry. This video is unavailable from your location.

To find out if this video is available to you, we need to know what region you live in. Please enter your postcode below (including space).

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for confirming your region.

Frequently Asked Questions

We are sorry but this video is not available on in your region. Your region is listed below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you in Northern Ireland?

1. Why is my postcode required?

We are asking you to insert your postcode before watching some videos to confirm you can access the video content via

This is because some videos on are only available in Northern Ireland.

Don't worry, we won't store or use this information for any other purpose.

If you are not in Northern Ireland, the content may be available to watch at or

2. Why am I directed to or when I try to view certain clips?

The videos, which are not available on to users outside Northern Ireland, will be available to those users on (for users in England and Wales) or (for most users in Scotland).

We need to know where you are in order to make sure you are getting the right content.

If you think we've got your location wrong, then please click here.

Need more help? Contact us

The child suffered severe burns in the incident, which happened in the Larne Road area of the Co Antrim town at about 2.30pm on Friday.

He was found by a woman who was passing by - she was also badly burned when she tried to put out the flames.

The boy was taken to Antrim Area Hospital and later transferred to the Royal, where his condition has been described as critical.

Neighbours have described the frantic efforts to help him.

Wesley Luke said: "I ran to the door immediately and by that time there is already people on the scene from cars and lorries.

A woman had caught the wee fella and rolled him in the grass in a neighbour's garden two doors down to put him out of the flames.

Wesley Luke

"Then the emergency services arrived and we got cold water and that to keep the skin as cold as we could until we got the proper equipment."

Carol Moody, who works in a nearby chip shop close by, was alerted to the toddler's plight, and brought water.

She believes what happened will leave a mark on everyone who witnessed the scene.

"The last customer that we served tonight, he worked in accident and emergency up in Antrim and he said that they had transfered him up to the Royal and that his burns were quite bad," Ms Moody told UTV.

"Because of the fact that he is so young, his skin is obviously not as tough as ours would be but hopefully he will be ok, it was a bit of a shock to see it happen."

John McPoland from the NI Ambulance Service told UTV that a rapid response paramedic was on the scene in about four minutes.

"He immediately, with the help of police, took the child to the nearest hospital - Antrim Area," he said, adding that the passer-by was also taken to hospital for burns to her hands.

"The injuries to the boy are quite severe. We hope and pray everything will go well for the child in hospital, where he will get the best of treatment."

It is understood the little boy may have been in a nearby house where a candle caused his clothes to catch fire.

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and have appealed for any witnesses to contact them.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
louise in belfast wrote (523 days ago):
Hope the little boy makes a full recovery. Poor wee thing.
tony in derry wrote (523 days ago):
hope and pray the little boy has a speedy recovery thoughts and prayers r also with those that helped him
A concerned Parent in Ballymena wrote (523 days ago):
Please dont judge we dont know the facts. Hope the wee lad recovers ok prayers from all of us
Suzie in Ballymena wrote (523 days ago):
People are very quick to judge. No one knows the facts. You need eyes on the back of your head were kids are concerned. I hope this little skitter makes a speedy recovery. well done to all involved. Horrible situation
Ronald Carruthers in Sutton Coldfield, England wrote (523 days ago):
Hope the little boy makes a full recovery, shocking story & hope the helper is OK as well.
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
Mon 31 March 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014