Toddler dies in Mayobridge accident

Published Sunday, 24 February 2013
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

A three-year-old boy has died after becoming entangled in a blind cord at a house in Mayobridge, near Newry.

Toddler dies in Mayobridge accident
The incident happened in Mayobridge over the weekend. (© UTV)

The incident happened shortly after 6pm on Saturday.

Police said they are investigating on behalf of the coroner. A statement added: "There are no suspicious circumstances".

Blind cords have been blamed for at least 25 deaths in the UK since 1999, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

Martin Regan, who is from Bellaghy, campaigns about the dangers of blind cords after his 23-month-old grandson Dean died in an incident in January 2011.

He said his blood ran cold when he heard the tragic news from Mayobridge.

"When I got the phone call immediately my blood went cold and I just had flashbacks of watching Dean die in the hospital," Mr Regan told UTV.

"I'd like to pass my condolences to the family of the child and my prayers are with them.

"For me, I've never got over it. You learn to live with it in a sense but each time you walk into a room or a building and you see a blind cord hanging you just feel like ripping it from the wall.

"And I can't emphasise enough for people to have a look around their house and look at the blinds and ask - are they safe?"

South Down SDLP MP Margaret Ritchie said: "Our thoughts and prayers and those of the wider community in Mayobridge are with the family at this difficult time.

"We know that everybody within the local community, including ourselves will provide all support, solidarity and prayers to the family in their sad and tragic loss."

Sinn Féin MLA Caitriona Ruane said: "This tragic accident has been felt by the entire community and I would like to extend my condolences to the family.

"Our thoughts are with them at this time."

© UTV News
Comments Comments
15 Comments
Shane in Mayobridge wrote (508 days ago):
So sad this was my 2nd cousin and he was such a nice and always smiling boy ill miss my cousin Daniel!
pamela keenan in newcastle co down wrote (518 days ago):
so so sad and yet so close to home may god bless ther family at this so very sad time :( may the little angel rest in the sweetest of peace with all the angels and saints <3 <3 will b cutting my blind strings to a level wher you can only fit ur hand in to open and close them ...this poor family just to sad for words xoxoxo
Martha in Armagh wrote (519 days ago):
Why are these blinds allowed to be sold.it so sad that you buy something that you are told is safe and it takes a little llife rest in peace little one and may god be with your mum and dad .
gavin quinn in newry wrote (519 days ago):
blinds cords should be banned and so sorry for your loss , i cant imagine what they are going through at this time and are throughts and prays are with you at this time .
lucy in banbridge wrote (519 days ago):
i have went around my house securing all the blind cords to the top with pegs, how tragic for this family rip
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Twelfth of July
Sat 12 July 2014
The Open Championship
Sun 20 July 2014
July sunshine
Thu 24 July 2014