Titanic Belfast attraction opens

Published Saturday, 31 March 2012
Comments
Toggle font size
Print

The world's largest Titanic-themed attraction has opened its doors to visitors in Belfast, just weeks before the 100th anniversary of the doomed ship's sinking.

Titanic Belfast attraction opens
Peter Robinson and Martin McGuinness officially opened Titanic Belfast. (© Pacemaker)

Titanic Belfast has been built on the old shipyard where the liner was built and almost 100,000 people have already bought tickets to tour the £97m building.

Choirs, street performers and ship horns all played their part in celebrating the opening of Titanic Belfast, the dramatic structure in the city's Titanic Quarter that houses exhibits and visitor experiences devoted to the ill-fated liner.

The building was opened by the First and Deputy First Minister on Saturday and it is expected that around 425,000 people will visit the attraction in the first year.

The Enterprise Minister Arlene Foster was also at the launch, as was Belfast's Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. Also present was 105-year-old Belfast man Cyril Quigley, who saw the Titanic leave Belfast Lough ahead of her maiden voyage a century ago.

The story of the Titanic's sinking, in which more than 1,500 people died, is told throughout nine galleries at the six storey centre.

The design of the building is based on the bow of the Titanic and has been built right beside the slipway where the liner was floated in 1911.

Peter Robinson said: "Titanic Belfast marks not just a commemoration of the internationally recognised story, but a new beginning for Northern Ireland on the world stage.

"It is a genuinely global brand that will be a superb draw for visitors to our shores reflecting the importance that the Northern Ireland Executive attaches to tourism as a major arm of our economic strategy."

A memorial garden has been planted at the slipway, with different-sized strips of grass and wood representing the proportion of lives lost and saved among the crew and first, second and third class passengers when the ship sank after striking an iceberg on her maiden voyage.

Martin McGuinness said people should be proud of Titanic Belfast.

"Titanic is such a global story that it is only right and fitting that it is properly remembered in the city of its birth.

"For too long, perhaps more than anything because of a sense of profound sorrow, the Titanic has never been truly remembered at home but all that has now changed and I have no doubt that Titanic Belfast will be a focal point for locals and visitors alike, now and in the future."

The launch also marks the beginning of the Titanic Festival, which runs until 22 April and includes events such as the MTV Titanic Sounds concert, a light show which will be projected onto the building and the opening of a memorial garden at Belfast City Hall.

Ms Foster said it was a "proud day for Belfast".

"Located beside the very slipway where Titanic was built, Titanic Belfast has an authenticity which will bring the ship's legend to life.

"Together with the exciting range of events that are taking place across Northern Ireland this year and next, this will establish Northern Ireland as a key player in the global tourism industry and a must-see destination for visitors from all over the world," she said.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
19 Comments
n.i.nemesis in derry wrote (989 days ago):
Conor in Belfast. We know why it's happening here and not elsewhere, because the local media are so needy and desperate for norn iron to be noticed. it's like a collective neurosis has hit them. If the titanic had been built in Britain and then sank this way, they would never in a million years draw attetion to it. I wouldn't bother with the evening local news programmes until the 16th of April when the relevant anniversary has passed. You'd wait a long time for news on either channel
Conor in Belfast wrote (990 days ago):
I'm sure the people who built the Costa Concordia aren't all standing around proudly saying "we built that" and I bet the italian government won't be wasting money on silly tourist attractions for it. Why you ask? Simple answer: Who in there right mind would be proud of building something that sank killing loads of people
Mike in Belfast wrote (990 days ago):
Listen to all the doom merchants on this. Can't see the opportunities for growth and regeneration that this bring. Aw well, there will always be those who only want to criticise and can't see further than their noses.
Marty in Belfast wrote (991 days ago):
I'm with Kate on this one - an absolute disgrace that £97m was spend on this hideous building. My wife is a teacher, she and her colleagues have been told they will be made redundant in July because they can not afford to keep their school open. The City Hospital has had its A&E Department closed, the RVH is over stretched with not enough medical staff - the list goes on! Yes, we need to embrace our heritage, but we don't need to spend disgusting amounts of cash on it - we have a perfectly good Heritage Centre at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum - why could they not created a project for the Titanic there at a fraction of the cost? I think the MPs need to get back to the floor, and see things from the general public's point of view.
get facts right in dundonald wrote (991 days ago):
maybe i am wrong?but was not most of the monies spent on this building not by private investors?in these days of gloom and doom its great that we have people who believe in this project, good luck to all involved.
POST A COMMENT:
Name:  
Email address*:    
Location:  
Validation:
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
MOST POPULAR GALLERIES
Mon 08 December 2014
One Direction fever
Fri 05 December 2014
U2 music video filmed in Belfast
Wed 17 December 2014