Published Wednesday, 09 October 2013
The scene of the security alert in north Belfast. (© Pacemaker)
A suspicious object was discovered at Silverstream Road on Wednesday morning.
Up to 50 homes were evacuated and the area was cordoned off while army bomb squad officers carried out a controlled explosion.
The device was later declared an "elaborate hoax".
A statement from the PSNI said: "The security alert in the Silverstream Road area of North Belfast has now ended. All roads in the area have now reopened."
It follows two previous alerts in the nearby area earlier this week, one involving a viable device and one which turned out to be an elaborate hoax.
DUP North Belfast MLA William Humphrey hit out at those responsible.
He said: "This is the third suspect device in three days in this area. A viable device was discovered at Brae Hill Link on Monday morning and a hoax device was planted in Silverstream Avenue that night which resulted in local residents being evacuated overnight.
"It is outrageous that this local community has been repeatedly targeted by people who care nothing for who suffers the consequences of their cowardly actions."
© UTV News