Published Monday, 23 April 2012
Mundy walked free from court on Monday. (© UTV)
Andrew Mundy's 18-month sentence will be suspended for three years and he was also told his name will remain on the Sex Offenders' Register for ten years, following the 2009 attack in Belfast.
Belfast Crown Court Judge Patrick Lynch told 19-year-old Mundy that he had escaped a prison sentence of up to eight years, because he was not convicted of the rape with which he was originally charged.
Mundy's victim was a year older than him, but the judge said she was naive and vulnerable, factors which Mundy "took advantage of".
"To put it mildly you behaved in a callous and totally inhumane way towards her," said Judge Lynch.
"You dealt with her as a sexual object on this afternoon, you took advantage of the position she was in and then you simply ignored her.
"That says little about you as an individual and a person irrespective of the criminality you have been convicted of."
Mundy, who is from Irwin Crescent in the east of the city, was convicted of sexually assaulting the girl on 9 September 2009.
During the week-long hearing, Mundy's 20-year-old victim told the court how the pair got in contact through an internet chat room before meeting for the first time on 7 September when they walked around Victoria Park in the east Belfast.
At that time, Mundy told her "I bring people in here and rape them", but later said it was just a joke.
When she met Mundy again two days later, she said he sexually assaulted her and then raped her - but Mundy claimed the sex was consensual.
At the end of the trial, the jury were "hopelessly split" over the rape allegation and the charge has been "left on the books".
On Monday, Judge Lynch said he was only sentencing on the offence which Mundy had been convicted of and also that he accepted the teenager was "not a sexual predator" who posed a danger to other females.
Mundy left the court with a warning from Judge Lynch that "you cannot afford to get on the wrong side of the law for the rest of your life".