Published Thursday, 02 January 2014
Banners at the protest camp had been slashed in a previous attack last week (© Presseye)
He was cut with what is thought to be a Stanley knife as the PSNI attended a disturbance at the loyalist protest camp on Twaddell Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.
There had been reports of an altercation between a 16-year-old teenager who had attempted to slash banners at the camp and members of the public.
A spokesperson for the PSNI on Thursday confirmed that the officer's injuries were not life-threatening and he has now been discharged from hospital.
Meanwhile police are continuing to question the teenager, who was arrested for wounding with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in connection with the incident.
Greater Shankill DUP Councillor Brian Kingston said it is the second attack in a week on banners and flags at the loyalist protest camp.
He said: "Clearly this is a very serious sequence of events. I hope that the police officer will make a full recovery though it is possible that he will be left with a scar. It is imperative that the PSNI increase their presence in the area to prevent any further incidents.
"I urge anyone who can assist the police investigation into these and previous incidents to pass on whatever information they have."
The protest camp was set up last July after the Parades Commission placed restrictions on bands returning past the Ardoyne shop fronts on the Twelfth.
© UTV News