Slashed officer released from hospital

Published Thursday, 02 January 2014
Toggle font size

A police officer has been released from hospital after receiving treatment on a facial wound suffered during an attack in north Belfast.

Slashed officer released from hospital
Banners at the protest camp had been slashed in a previous attack last week (© Presseye)

He was cut with what is thought to be a Stanley knife as the PSNI attended a disturbance at the loyalist protest camp on Twaddell Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.

There had been reports of an altercation between a 16-year-old teenager who had attempted to slash banners at the camp and members of the public.

A spokesperson for the PSNI on Thursday confirmed that the officer's injuries were not life-threatening and he has now been discharged from hospital.

Meanwhile police are continuing to question the teenager, who was arrested for wounding with intent and possession of an offensive weapon in connection with the incident.

Greater Shankill DUP Councillor Brian Kingston said it is the second attack in a week on banners and flags at the loyalist protest camp.

He said: "Clearly this is a very serious sequence of events. I hope that the police officer will make a full recovery though it is possible that he will be left with a scar. It is imperative that the PSNI increase their presence in the area to prevent any further incidents.

"I urge anyone who can assist the police investigation into these and previous incidents to pass on whatever information they have."

The protest camp was set up last July after the Parades Commission placed restrictions on bands returning past the Ardoyne shop fronts on the Twelfth.

© UTV News
Comments Comments
Richard in Belfast wrote (111 days ago):
Interesting that the DUP feel the PSNI should be doing more to police the "camp." So, let me get this clear in my head. The DUP want the police to protect the illegal activity at the camp from people breaking the law. How does that make any sense?
Ray in Belfast wrote (111 days ago):
So it was someone with a knife and not the stormy weather which cut and slashed the protest banners?? just to prove a point to the neigh sayers last time roundthis happened
iain in eemshaven holland wrote (112 days ago):
hope all who left previous comments about the wind tearing the banners, make the same comments about the psni officer, it was because of the wind he got a sore face,
Ric in Tyrone wrote (112 days ago):
Again knife crime taking over our streets. Where is the law ,and justice?
christine in newtownabbey wrote (112 days ago):
Why is the true story not reported in the media, the lad was trying to slash the Twaddell banners, a member of the publuc walking their dog came across him and confronted him, the voices prompted camp members to come out, they gave chase, he fell injuring his face, several men came out of the Sportsman bar at Ardoyne and took him inside, when police entered the bar to arrest him one officer was slashed in the face while inside the Sportsman bar, fact, dont repirt on a story unless you have the full facts, this report makes it look like a loyalists from the camp attacked the police officer
Email address*:    
House Rules:  
Your Comment:  
[All comments are moderated and will not appear immediately. Your name, location and comment will be displayed on this page if your post passes moderation.]
Mon 31 March 2014
Fatal shooting in west Belfast
Sat 19 April 2014
Carrick disturbances
Fri 11 April 2014